When the pilgrim died from cancer

C. J. Watson, The New York Times, 10/24/99, p.

A2 The patient who died in a Manhattan hospital on New Year’s Eve was the third pilgrim to die in the past week, and his death raised questions about a system that can’t predict the course of a patient’s illness and can’t keep track of the care they receive.

It also raised concerns that the care the patients receive might be inadequate.

The case has raised questions at a time when hospitals are grappling with a surge in patient deaths from COVID-19 and are trying to determine what role patients might play in curbing the pandemic.

The first patient died from COIDS-19 last week at the Cleveland Clinic.

Another was hospitalized in Brooklyn.

Hospitals have been reluctant to share information about the patient and the patient’s care with the public.

The latest death came in the early morning hours of Friday at New York Presbyterian, according to an emergency room spokeswoman.

Dr. Robert J. DeCarlo, the medical director of emergency medicine at New Westminster, said a patient who was admitted to the hospital about 7:45 a.m.

Friday was unresponsive and appeared to have died of COIDS.

The patient was treated for respiratory problems and released about 7 p.m., Mr. DeCARlo said.

The hospital was notified about the death at 7:52 a.p.m and sent an ambulance.

“At that point, we immediately notified the city of New Westminster,” Dr. DeBrano said.

“The patient was uncooperative, did not cooperate with any of our staff, did what we asked him to do, and it was not our intention to have him remain unresponsive.”

He said the hospital was not notified until about 8:30 p., when the ambulance arrived.

Dr, Andrew C. Burdick, a hospital spokesman, said the New Westminster facility has not received the patient since.

He said it was the first time the hospital had received notification that a patient was in critical condition and was not cooperating with the hospital.

The New Westminster hospital has not had a patient die from COVI-19 since the hospital began reporting the death of the patient, Dr. Burlick said.

Drs.

Watson and DeCarla said they do not believe the patient was involved in the care of other patients.

The spokesman added that New Westminster has a system in place to ensure that patients have adequate care and are not in danger of becoming unresponsive.

“We do not expect to lose a patient if they go into a room and the room is full of other people,” Drs Burdrick said.

A nurse at the hospital who spoke on condition of anonymity because she was not authorized to discuss the case publicly said she was aware of several patients who had died of coronavirus, but she was unsure whether the patient had died.

The nurse said the patient died because he had become too dependent on a care package.

The nursing home’s general counsel, Drs C. F. Dutta and R. M. Srinivasan, said they had not heard about the case.

Dr Srinasan said that the hospital has taken several steps to prevent a repeat of the last COVID outbreak, including the creation of a network of health care providers that are paid a percentage of the cost of the treatment.

The general counsel said the nurse who was with the patient said the man had had trouble getting adequate care in the previous outbreak and needed help.

He also said the nursing home is trying to make sure that the patient is monitored regularly and does not have symptoms that could make him a risk to himself or others.

“It’s a matter of getting to know this person and not giving him too much of a good impression,” Dr Sarinivasan said.

In a statement, New Westminster said the care provided was excellent.

It said the health care provider who cared for the patient did not suffer from COID-19.

The statement added that the facility has been working to ensure the care received by the patient included appropriate testing and other treatment.